What to do after you are injured at work

If you have been injured at work in South Carolina, you are entitled to compensation. The Workers’ Compensation Act makes sure of that. You could be compensated for medical expenses, lost wages and more. If you are injured, though, what steps should you take to ensure you get the maximum compensation possible? John Mobley Law Firm suggests the following:

Report the injury

Be sure to report your accident and injury to a supervisor as quickly as possible. If you report it to a co-worker who is not a manager or supervisor or you wait more than a month to report it, you might not receive full benefits.

Seek medical treatment

Go to a doctor – or the emergency room if immediate medical care is needed. In South Carolina, your employer has the right to choose which doctor will treat you, but the employer (and workers’ comp insurance) must pay for it. Attend all medical appointments and follow the instructions you are given, including any work restrictions.
If your employer does not provide you with a list of approved doctors, ask your supervisor or HR department.

File claim with the Workers’ Compensation Commission

According to the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission: You may file a claim if your employer does not report your accident, denies your injury by accident or if you believe you did not receive all of your benefits. To file a claim, submit a Form 50 or Form 52 to the Commission. If for any reason you cannot download the forms, email the Commission’s Claims Department at claims@wcc.sc.gov to request the forms be mailed to you. When filing a claim on a Form 50 or Form 52, mark the box 13a. which states: “I am filing a claim. I am not requesting a hearing at this time.”

Talk to an attorney

It is always beneficial to discuss a workplace injury with an experienced attorney. John Mobley Law Firm has years of experience navigating the world of workers’ compensation law and will be happy to walk you through the process to make sure you get all the compensation you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.