If you have been injured on the job, you are entitled to workers compensation. That means if you were injured through no fault of your own while performing your job duties, you are entitled to recover medical expenses, compensation for lost time, and permanent disability benefits if needed.
If you have been injured on the job in South Carolina, you should call the experienced workers compensation attorneys at the John Mobley Law Firm. Employers and insurance companies want to pay out as little as possible, but we will fight to get you every dollar you deserve. Just call 800-JOHNCAN (800-504-6226). We have years of experience and a proven track record of successfully helping our clients with workers compensation claims.
Workers Compensation Lawyers know if you have been injured at work in South Carolina, you are entitled to compensation. The Workers’ Compensation Act makes sure of that. You could get compensated for medical expenses, lost wages, and more. If you are injured, though, what steps should you take to ensure you get the maximum compensation possible? John Mobley Law Firm suggests the following:
- Report the injury to a supervisor as soon as possible.
- Seek medical treatment. Go to a doctor or the emergency room if immediate medical care is needed. In South Carolina, your employer has the right to choose which doctor will treat you, but the employer (and workers compensation insurance) must pay for it.
- File a claim with the South Carolina Workers’ Compensation Commission
- Talk to an attorney. The John Mobley Law Firm has years of experience navigating the world of workers compensation law and will be happy to walk you through the process to ensure you get all the compensation you deserve.
After suffering a workplace injury, DO NOT:
- Post about it on social media. Anything you post can be used as evidence and could endanger your claim.
- Hide previous workplace injuries, even if they seem insignificant. Failure to disclose could cancel your current claim.
Depending on your occupation, there are many ways you could suffer an injury at work. Some of the most common workplace injuries we encounter are:
- Slips, trips, and falls
- Muscle strains
- Exposure to loud noise
- Being hit by falling objects
- Repetitive strain injury
- Crashes and collisions
- Inhaling toxic fumes
- Fights at work
If your claim goes to the Workers Compensation Commission, a hearing is usually held within three to five months, at which time you get to present your case, including medical depositions. Once a commissioner has ruled on the case, he/she will issue an Opinion and Award, which sets forth his/her ruling of fact and law, and what relief the employee gets. If either party is dissatisfied with the decision, you can appeal the case to the full commission. If either party is unhappy with that decision, it then can be appealed to the Circuit Court up to the South Carolina Supreme Court. It can be a long and complex process, which is why it helps to have the experience of the John Mobley Law Firm on your side.
Before you sign any paperwork, talk to any insurance company representative, or accept any settlement, make sure you have the John Mobley Law Firm on your side. We have lots of experience helping people across South Carolina get the compensation they deserve for injuries at work. Call 800-JOHNCAN (800-504-6226) any time, 24/7.